Buffalo Niagara’s Leading Sign Company Since 1922
In a small storefront in Niagara Falls, New York, Cooper Sign Co. was established in 1922 by Carl John Cooper. He wanted to share his creativity with the community by focusing primarily on producing show cards for theaters throughout the Buffalo Niagara region.
As the company’s reputation grew under the direction of Carl and eventually his sons, Wayne and Harold, so did the range of signage work produced. In fact, Cooper Sign Co. is responsible for many signs in the Niagara Frontier that eventually became landmarks, including the pink elephant sign on Pine Avenue (pictured above), Page’s Whistle Pig sign on Military Road, and MacLeod’s LaSalle Pharmacy sign.
In 1987, the reigns of the now third generation family business passed to John and Jennifer Cooper, now operating as a NYS Certified Woman-Owned business enterprise. Though many years have passed since 1922, the core values of Carl Cooper are the heartbeat of the company. We continue to pride ourselves on creativity, and are proud of our reputation for providing the highest quality signs to customers throughout Buffalo Niagara, New York State, and beyond – for the best possible price.
Most of our signs are handmade in America, and we employ the industry’s top digital sign imaging equipment and technology in order to design and fabricate signs. Our signage company is also dedicated to operating in an environmentally friendly manner with a culture that focuses on efficiency.
In 1996, Old Glory Flag and Banner was established to further meet the needs of our customers, who wanted a means to display what they are passionate about, whether it is the US flag, military flag, historical flag, or corporate logo. As always, we are committed to flags made here, in the United States of America.
Commitment to the Community
- Active member of Grace Baptist Church, Tonawanda, NY
- Canisius College Women’s Business Center Forum
- UB Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership Class of 2012
- Member, Niagara Military Affairs Council supporting the Niagara Falls Air Reserve Base
- Member, National Association of Women Business Owners, past board member
- President of Niagara Wheatfield Music Parents Club, 2007-2008
- Board Member and past President of Town of Niagara Business & Professional Association, 2004-2008
- Founding Member of the Niagara Electric Lights Parade Committee
- 914th Family Support Group, supporting families of those who serve our country at the Niagara Falls Air Base
- Board Member, Northpointe Council
- Board Member & past President New York State Sign Association
- Business of the Year, Niagara USA Chamber, 2003
- Business Person of the Year, Town of Niagara Business & Professional Association, 2007
- Citizen of the Year, Town of Niagara Business & Professional Association, 2008
- Woman of Influence Award, Business First, 2008
- Key for Women Achievement Award, Key Bank, 2009
- Women in Leadership Award, 2011/2012
- NAWBO Member of the Year, 2014
John Cooper, Sr.
Our founder and my grandfather, Carl John Cooper, set an example of community service. He served in various capacities in his church and also as Supervisor of the Ground Observer Corp. of Civil Defense in Niagara Falls, NY. The next generation also set an example as my father served in his church, the Gideon’s International, and also as a charter member of the Town of Niagara Lion’s Club. So serving the community came naturally to me.
- Chairman of the Niagara Military Affairs Council
- Co-founder and President of the Town of Niagara Business and Professional Association, Inc.
- Vice Chairman of the Town of Niagara Industrial Development Agency
- Member of the Local Redevelopment Authority concerning the redevelopment of the United States Army Reserve Facility which moved during BRAC 2005
- Past Chairman of the Thunder of Niagara Air Show
- Board Member, Northeast Council of Air Shows
- Past Member, Town of Wheatfield Firearms Committee
- U.S. Small Business Administration, Regional and New York State Veterans Small Business Champion, 2007
- Businessman of the Year from the Niagara USA Chamber, 2006
- Lion’s Club William Henchbarger Citizen of the Year Award, 2006
- 57th Annual Buffalo News Outstanding Citizen of the Year, 2006
- Leader of the Year Award from Leadership Niagara, 2005
- Citation from the United States Air Force Association and the State of New York Conspicuous Service Medal, Governor George Pataki, New York State Department of Military & Naval Affairs, 2005